Saturday, December 03, 2005

Making Sense of the Place

The phrase "sense of place" is overused. It does, however, convey something real. Every city, town, neighborhood and street has its own feel. Each is as unique as a person. That is why we love--or can't stand--particular places.

San Pedro has a particularly strong personality. Its long history and the fact that so many families and cultures have become rooted here are the major contributors to its uniqueness. Pedro is also seasoned by a slew of recent immigrants, both foreign and domestic. Each element flavors life in this southern tip of the city of Los Angeles, so much so that people from Pedro believe they aren't from L.A.

Sixth Street is my attempt to understand and appreciate the character of this town. This blog will muse on Pedro's people, places and happenings, centering on the downtown area of 6th Street where I work. My job as a pastor puts me into contact with old timers and immigrants, businesspeople and the jobless, the known and the unknown, adults and children. I have an unusual vantage point. I have seen many new things since I came to San Pedro nearly four years ago, and I hope I can help the reader see something new.

Though I write in the hopes that others will actually read, Sixth Street is for me. I am a relatively recent addition to San Pedro, but I want to put my roots deeply into this place so my own family can be nourished by the community. I trust we will give something in return.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't read this guy, he's a complete crackpot!!! Sorry, ED, I thought you might be looking forward to some early feedback.

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That photograph looks like it was taken in downtown Reseda!

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I want to claim E D (ED?), S A or rr as relatives... I do wonder how often you plan to "blog?" (In other words, how often should I check for new stuff?)

I did see the LA TIMES article about the fb coach at SPHS. Maybe it's just as well that Sylmar pulled out the win.

Mombo

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never been to San Pedro, but I buy often from the Union War Supply. // ryc: I OD'ed on li hing dried mangoes an got a stomach ache. Now it's sweet li hing mui, li hing mangoes/wet, li hing lemons, and li hing gummy bears.

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google